Effective: August 25, 2020
Union Direct is committed to protecting and respecting your privacy.
This policy sets out the basis on which any personal data we collect from you, or that you provide to us, will be processed by us. Please read the following carefully to understand our views and practices regarding your personal data and how we will treat it.
1. Information we may collect from you
- We may collect and process the following data about you:
- Information that you provide by filling in forms on our site. This includes information provided at the time of registering to use our sites, subscribing to our service, posting material or requesting further services. We may also ask you for information, for example when you enter a competition or promotion, and when you report a problem with our site.
- The information we may collect on you includes your name, address, email address and phone number.
- If you contact us, we may keep a record of that correspondence.
- We may also ask you to complete surveys that we use for research purposes, although you do not have to respond to them.
- Details of your visits to our site including, but not limited to, traffic data, location data, weblogs and other communication data, and the resources that you access.
- Technical information, including the Internet protocol (IP) address used to connect your computer to the Internet, your login information, browser type and version, time zone setting, browser plug-in types and versions, operating system, platform and other relevant information.
2. IP addresses, analytics and cookies
When you visit our web pages, we may download a small file called a “cookie” to your computer’s web browser.
Our cookies provide us with statistical information about what you do on the website, for example: the duration of time a page was viewed, common paths taken through the site, data on screen settings and other general information. We use this data to improve the services on our site and to improve your experience of using our website.
They enable us to:
- estimate our audience size and usage pattern
- store information about your preferences, and so allow us to customise our sites according to your individual interests
- speed up your searches
- recognise you when you return to our site
The following cookies are used on this site.
- We use one called PHPSESSID which manages your user sessions while you our browsing our site. This cookie is required for our site to function correctly therefore you cannot opt out of this cookie. If you choose to continue to browse our site, this cookie will be used.
Optional cookies that we need your consent to use:
- Google analytics (_ga,_gat,_gid. See analytics.google.com for details). This allows us to evaluate and report on the use of our website. It is widely used across the web and all data is anonymised, meaning the cookies carry no personally identifiable information.
- You may refuse to accept these optional cookies either by activating the setting on your browser that allows you to refuse the setting of cookies; or by choosing to opt out of them when browsing our site for the first time. However, if you select either of these settings you may be unable to access certain parts of our site. Visitors may also opt out of our use of Analytics by visiting the Google Analytics Opt-out page.
- You can access comprehensive information on how to do this on a wide variety of browsers by visiting www.allaboutcookies.org. Here you will also find details on how to delete cookies from your machine as well as some general information on about cookies.
- Please note that restricting cookies may impact on the functionality of our site.
3. Where we store your personal data
- We work with Google to analyse the performance of our web site. The data we share with Google may be stored outside of the EEA. Google are fully accredited with the Privacy Shield which confirms they are compliant with European data protection law and therefore able to process data on our behalf.
- Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. Although we will do our best to protect your personal data, we cannot guarantee the security of your data transmitted to our sites; any transmission is at your own risk. Once we have received your information, we will use strict procedures and security features to try to prevent unauthorised access.
4. Uses made of the information
We use information held about you in the following ways:
- to ensure that content from our sites is presented in the most effective manner for you and for your computer;
- to provide you with information, products or services that you request from us, or which we feel may interest you where we believe we have a legitimate business reason for contacting you, or where you have consented to be contacted for such purposes;
- to carry out our obligations arising from any contracts entered into between you and us;
- to assist us with matters including (but not limited to) payment and marketing lists;
- to administer our sites and for internal operations, including troubleshooting, data analysis, testing, research, statistical and survey purposes;
- to allow you to participate in interactive features of our service, when you choose to do so; and
- to notify you about changes to our service.
- We will not share your information with third parties out with the Union group of companies, except as set out in clause 5 below.
5. Disclosure of your information
- We may disclose your personal information to third parties in the event that we sell or buy any business or assets, in which case we may disclose your personal data to the prospective seller or buyer of such business or assets.
6. Your rights
- You have the right to ask us not to process your personal data for marketing purposes. We will inform you if we intend to use your data for such purposes. You can exercise your right to prevent such processing by opting out at the time of data collection. You can also exercise the right at any time by contacting us at email@example.com
- Our sites may, from time to time, contain links to and from the websites of our partner networks, advertisers and affiliates. If you follow a link to any of these websites, please note that these websites have their own privacy policies and that we do not accept any responsibility or liability for these policies. Please check these policies before you submit any personal data to these websites.
- If you have opted in or otherwise qualify to receive communication from The Union and no longer wish to receive our promotional communications by email, you may opt-out of receiving them by following the unsubscribe instructions included in each communication.
- You have the right to ask for a copy of what data we hold and process on you and to have any inaccuracies corrected. Please contact us either in writing to 18 Inverleith Terrace, Union House, Edinburgh, EH3 5NS or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please let us know if you are unhappy with how we have used your personal information. You can contact us using the details in the section above.
You also have the right to complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office. Find out on their website how to report a concern.
This policy was last updated on 25/08/2020.